Author Topic: Mini Moke: What have I got and should I fix it?  (Read 4298 times)

Stefan

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Mini Moke: What have I got and should I fix it?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:29 AM »
Looks like a good forum you've got set up here fellas! I've started fixing up a few things as projects over the last few years - just built myself a Datsun ute and now I've started poking around in dad's shed.

He's got a moke that's been sitting out in the rain mud for the last 20 years or so, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth trying to bring back or if it's beyond repair. The body generally seems to be OK, but there is lots of surface rust and one of the panels (I think where the battery goes) is basically missing. The compliance plate doesn't have a year on it (which seems weird) but I think it's a late 60s model. Apparently it's got a 1300 engine, but I don't know much more about it.

So I guess my questions are:
1. What have I got here?
2. Is it beyond repair?
3. Is it worth repairing?

I'd be very interested to hear what you guys think about it. I'm having trouble uploading pics on here, so is there someone I can email them to who can post them for me?

Cheers

Stefan

• Registered Member

Re: Mini Moke: What have I got and should I fix it?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »
Pics:

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »
Hi Stefan,
Good to see another Adelaidian Moker in the making.
If it has been sitting in the weather for 20+ years you will have a lot of work to do. But if the body is in good nick then nothing time patience and $$$$ cant fix.
I would suggest seeing if the Motor/Gearbox/Clutch work before doing any cosmetic work, then maybe brakes, steering. Once you know where you stand with the major mechanicals and how much you need to spend on them you will be in a better position  to decide wether to proceed.
The other option which is very popular is get another Moke that A/ Has Excellent Body, or B/ Has excellent mechanicals, and then combine the two to make one.

Looking at the photos, you have a bit of work ahead of you... :-\
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Hi Stefan, welcome aboard.
As Pete says, a bit of work there :) But looks to be fairly complete though ;)
It is a "Little Wheeler" which there arent too many around these days :)
Have you got a vin number? should be stamped above the plate and also next to where it says YJBAB****
So 1966, '67ish. They started at number 501 in '66 I believe.
Cheers
Halfpint
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:20 AM »
VIN number indicates 67-68 - she is in need of assistance but not too far gone in my opinion... however if you decide not to restore it I am interested - I have #966 and could use it as a parts car!

Good Luck!   ;)

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
Hi Stefan

have a look through the garage thread, you will see people tackling mokes in worse condition, it doesnt look too bad from the photos apart from the battery box, but with a welder, some steel and time - anythings possible.

go for it, you will get lots of advice on here from people who have already tackled the jobs you will find.

the day you get to drive it after the rebuild is brilliant ( for me it was yesterday so I know the buzz!)

Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

Stefan

• Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
Thanks guys, that's all really useful advice. I'll have a look for a VIN the next time I visit my dad. And get it under cover sooner rather than later to stop it going downhill any faster!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »
Hi Stefan, the moke looks very repairable, they all rust in the battery box but in yours
it may have also rusted in the 'Bermuda Triangle' which is a trianglar shaped space
cunningly designed by BMC to rust out, all fixable, just depends on your paitence, skill's and wallet ;D

When your there next check out the engine number, if it starts with 9 then it's a 998cc, 10 = 1100 and 12 is for a 1275cc motor

The Vin looks like YJBAB1R 3371 so my guess is a late 67 but as you and others have said the early ones have no date stamped
on the plate and they started at 501.

If it's been there for 20 years it must have a low milage, do you know why it was parked or did he decide to buy a Holden One tonner ;)

What is the small car in front of the moke? looks very interesting, Austin 7 special or Lotus 7 replica ;D ;D
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
Have you got a vin number? should be stamped above the plate and also next to where it says YJBAB****

Not sure what Halfpint means here Stefan, maybe he couldn't see your photos when he posted  :-\. You're wasting your time looking for a VIN number as all they have is the YJBAB1R Code and the Serial Number (3373).

As others have said, it doesn't look too bad as long as you're keen. People tackle a hell of a lot worse ones. Actually looks in similar condition to the Little Wheeler I'm currently doing up looked like when I got it https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php/topic,3695.0.html. Actually if you have a read through that thread you'll get some idea of what you're likely to come up against. You'll also note that it's quite acceptable to take your time with it  ;) .

Too good for a parts car I think. Pull it out of it's hole, clean it up properly to see what you've got and if you decide it's too much for you, I'd be sticking it on here or ebay as a resto project. Of course, that's only if you really don't want to do it yourself.

Feel free to ask any other questions during your investigation and you'll find plenty of people on here who are only too happy to help.

Newie

• Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »
If you need help..I'll come and have a look at it and tell you more...( as long as it's not a 3 hours drive )
if you need me..PM me

mavro

spider

• Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:15:36 PM »
Definitely fixable. It doesn't really appear too bad. Once you get it out of there and take some of the stuff out of it, you'll get a better picture.

The cylinder head is is from a 1275 engine and there is every chance that the engine too is a 1275. As Moe has suggested, get the engine number.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »
What is the small car in front of the moke? looks very interesting, Austin 7 special or Lotus 7 replica 

you have sharp eyes Moe - Im guessing not A7 due to the steel wheels

That is a shed to be envious of, lots of projects  :)
Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
Not sure what Halfpint means here Stefan, maybe he couldn't see your photos when he posted  :-\. You're wasting your time looking for a VIN number as all they have is the YJBAB1R Code and the Serial Number (3373).

Newie
Sorry Newie, serial number=Vehicle Identification Number, which should also be stamped on the body, this would at least say the Serial number on the Id plate matches that on the body.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Stefan

• Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
Hahaha you guys are great. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I know that it's a 1275 engine cos dad changed it over. Apparently the original 998 is sitting in my uncle's shed, so assuming neither of them is too stuffed I guess I've got a choice as to what I put back in. Do people have any thoughts? I guess whichever I put in it will need a pretty complete rebuild. As far as the body goes, I am thinking that it would probably be best to get it put on a rotisserie, blasted and resprayed - at least body work doesn't get any simpler than on a moke with all the right angles!

The basic story is that the moke was dad's when he was young and stupid and then he basically parked it there and forgot about it when he got something else to play with (a BMW 2002). There's also the HQ in the shed, and the little car next to it is a little hillclimbing special that he built out of a chassis he had lying around but never finished. I think the chassis might be from a 1920s Buick? He says that "the suspension is particularly tasty". Anyway he never got it to work properly, so I think he lost interest in that too. It's caught my eye as well, but that is a much bigger project!

As I suspected, the consensus seems to be that it's quite salvageable, after all it's all pretty much surface rust except for the battery well and that doesn't look too difficult to fix up. I was just more curious to know if it was a particularly good/rare model to know if it was worth going to the effort with the one I've got or finding a new body to play with.

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »
Hi Stefan

As I have mentioned I have a similar Moke to yours.  What I have found regarding finished value of Mokes is that most folks want a Californian style Moke - they attract the highest value. (big wheels + special trim and accessories)  While the "little wheelers" are historically the oldest - unlike antiques - market demand seems to dictate that little wheelers do not fetch the same $$ when in the same condition.  They are probably less appealing looks wise to the masses. (my opinion)

As a "new moker" I can tell you that to restore the vehicle to a respectable condition including the rebuild of the motor and body work/paint job - this will cost you from $6-10K depending on your tastes.  The time required to bring a car up to this standard will also take you longer than you anticipate.  If you are spending weekends (5-10 hours per week) on the car it will be a year long process - at best. (Some folks take YEARS to complete their Moke while some never finish or even start!   ;)  )

I don't want to scare you - but I headed into the same journey with ideas of "quick tidy ups" and "cheap restores" and found that they do not exist.  The value of restoring a Moke is immense and probably unmeasurable (and very enjoyable) but you have done well to seek advice from guys who have done it / are doing it to gauge the size and cost of what you are proposing.  As you are in Adelaide - I am happy for you to visit my garage to have a look at a restore and a chin wag - send me a private message to organise.

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke